Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Books read in 2023: No. 18 -- Lost Lexington Kentucky

by Peter Brackney

Started: June 17
Finished: June 21
Notes: I've always considered Lexington, Kentucky, my hometown, having lived there twice, once from 1969 to 1993 and then again from 2006 to 2010. So, I'm always glad to read a little history about my hometown. This book focuses upon architecture, specifically about buildings in Lexington that no longer exist, some of which I remember and others that were before my time.

Mini review: This was a nostalgic blast from the past. Some of the structures here were before my time, though I had heard of most of them. Some were destroyed during my time, and I remember them fondly as landmarks of my youth. Others have been destroyed since I left Lexington, leaving me with bittersweet memories, especially when it comes to the changes at the University of Kentucky. But change and growth are natural, yet the Bluegrass Region has lost much. I hope they don't lose more.

No comments: