Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Books read in 2024: No. 38 -- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

by Ransom Riggs

Started: August 9
Finished: August 20

Notes: As weird as it might sound, certain books seem to call out to me. I run into them time and time again in unusual places. I'm not talking about bestsellers I see on shelves in bookstores, not at all. I'm talking about books that seem to appear before me time and time again in someone's home or in thrift stores. This is one of those books. I didn't seek it out. It sought me out. I know this sounds odd, but it's how I feel. So, after running across this book time and time again, I finally snagged a copy and decided to read it. I know very little about this book, just that it's some kind of modern fantasy, that it's told in part with old photographs, and that there was a movie a few years back (and no, I've not seen the movie). Hopefully I'll enjoy this, or at the least maybe I'll learn a thing or two.

Mini review: A teen boy discovers his grandfather has a secret past, which leads the lad to an orphanage of sorts for children with special powers. One reviewer mentioned the Harry Potter series, and I could see how fans of those books might also enjoy this one. The vintage photos that were used throughout the book were interesting visually, but I didn't really feel they added anything to the story. However, the prose here is decent enough and the story moved at a decent pace, though there were a few places where my interest began to wane. The ending isn't a cliffhanger, but it definitely sets things up for further tales.

No comments: