Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Books read in 2024: No. 42 -- No One Here Gets Out Alive

by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman

Started: Sept. 10
Finished: Oct. 1

Notes: For years I've had an idea for a short story which would feature Jim Morrison, the late singer of The Doors, but I've never felt I knew enough about the man to attempt my tale. I'm not sure I'll actually ever write the story, but this biography should at least provide me with the info to make the attempt.

Mini review: I wouldn't say Morrison was necessarily a tortured soul, but I would say he was a troubled soul. And could be a bit of an asshole. This book covered his early life to the appropriate degree, giving the right amount of information without going overboard on unimportant details, and it covered Jim's years with The Doors to an excellent degree, but I felt it flew through Jim's death rather quickly and without a lot of detail. In some fairness, the way this book reads, there weren't a lot of details, and Jim's death is something of a mystery even to this day, with some folks at the time suggesting Morrison had faked his own death. Personally, I think it unlikely he faked his death, though I wouldn't say it's necessarily impossible. A decent enough book, and fans of The Doors would likely find this one interesting.

No comments: