Friday, October 04, 2024

Books read in 2024: No. 43 -- Player's Handbook (2024): Dungeons & Dragons

by Wizards of the Coast

Started: Oct. 1
Finished: Oct. 4

Notes: This is the latest edition of the Player's Handbook for D&D. The publisher has been adamant that this is not a new edition, that it is fully compatible with 5e, though fans often refer to this particular version as 5.5e. I'll check it out and see what I think. Funny enough, I didn't care for the original 5e Player's Handbook a decade ago, but I've been playing the game for 10 years now and mostly enjoy it, though I do have my quibbles.

Mini review: Many of the changes are relatively minor, such as the Vicious Mockery cantrip doing d6 instead of d4 damage, but probably the biggest changes are in how the classes work, though I will agree this version of D&D is compatible to 5e. Do I think this is an approvement? Over all, only slightly so, for some things are done better but others feel like change was done simply for the sake of change. Will I transition to this latest version of the game? Possibly, but it'll depend on my gaming companions. My guess will be we will mix 5e and this 5.5e to accomplish what we want. I will say I feel most of the changes here were done to give players' characters a power boost, and not really for any improvement to story telling or role play, but that's just my opinion.

No comments: