Saturday, January 10, 2009

No. 7 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams

Started: January 10
Finished: January 12

Notes: This is the first book I'm getting to on my list of books I want to read. I have seen this movie and found it quite awful, but I've always heard the book is much, much better. Besides, I like humor and some science fiction and this combines both. Also, this is one of those books everyone seems to have read but me, so I guess it's time I got to it.

Mini review: Full of silliness, which is fine if that's what you are in the mood for. Unfortunately, I wasn't. It was a fun, fast read, but my frame of mind wasn't there. Nothing turned me off, however, so I'll have to give this author another try in the future. Definitely better than the movie.

3 comments:

NewGuyDave said...

I can't believe how fast you read. I can barely get through ten to fifteen pages an hour. Wow, to be able to consume books at such a pace would be... expensive.

Ty said...

Dave, I average about 45 books a year. My reading speed comes and goes. Of late, I've had plenty of time to read (one finds lots of time after being laid off from work).

And, I'm a former newspaper editor, so I always got tons of free books through my job. Plus, I've got about 5 used book stores within just a few blocks of my house. I often walk out of one of those stores with a stack of novels after only having spent a few dollars.

NewGuyDave said...

Sorry to hear about being laid off, and good luck with getting back in the game.

I'm currently jobless and writing. Maybe 2009 will bring good things for both of us, in the meantime we'll read and write.

I only have 1 used store nearby, but I've been stockpiling for years, so I probably don't need to buy any for a while, except maybe to help author friends out.