Saturday, April 18, 2009

No. 24 - Something Wicked This Way Comes

by Ray Bradbury

Started: April 18
Finished: April 23

Notes: This classic novel by the famed science fiction author is something I should have read years ago, but I didn't. So, now I'm getting to it.

Mini review: A truly fantastic novel. Likely the best I've read so far this year. Every reader, even those who aren't drawn to the speculative, should peruse these pages. It's a classic. Fans of Stephen King will especially love this. Despite the fact it was published at least 15 years before King hit the scene, this seems very much like a possible early work of his. If King wasn't inspired by Ray Bradbury, I'll bite a bird. This story is practically dripping with Kingeese. There's a small town, two young boys-almost-teens, a creepy carnival that comes to town ... so much that sounds like it could be an influence on several of King's novels. You must read this, especially fathers and sons.

No comments: