Thursday, April 23, 2009

No. 25 - Let's Hear it For the Deaf Man

by Ed McBain

Started: April 23
Finished: April 26

Notes: Yep, I've still got a few Ed McBain novels to get through. Thought I'd take a break from my recent reading of literary classics and switch to some good ole crime fiction, at least for a bit. I'm hyped about this particular novel because it features the Deaf Man, a serial villain who has appeared in several of the 87th Precinct novels. This is the first of McBain's books I've read that features the Deaf Man. Published in 1973.

Notes: Another fun, quick read from McBain. The Deaf Man was interesting as a serial villain for the cops of the 87th, but I'm not sure I'd call him a genius. He thinks of himself that way, and the cops seem to view him that way to some extent, but I'm not sure it takes genius-level intelligence to give the cops a bunch of obscure clues that don't make a lot of sense. It might make sense to the Deaf Man, but his type of riddles are a bit of a stretch. Basically, no one would really be able to figure them out.

No comments: