Friday, February 02, 2007

No. 8 - The Count of Monte Cristo


by Alexandre Dumas

Started: Feb. 2
Finished: April 4

Notes: Dumas is one of my favorite writers, and definitely my favorite classical writer. I haven't read through this one in years and years, so I picked up a new paperback copy a while back and thought I'd finally get around to reading it. I also picked this book because it is quite long (more than 1,000 pages), and I'm still busy with moving and all kinds of other stuff in my life right now and wanted something to stick with for a while, mostly so I can keep my mind focused in one direction without the added hastle of changing mindsets while changing books (if that made any sense to anyone). Still no writing of late, but I'm so swamped it would be a miracle if I could get anything coherent out. Still, I'll get back to it eventually. There's not quite yet light at the end of the tunnel, but at least the tracks keep going.

Mini review: My second favorite Dumas book (as of this writing), after "The Three Musketeers." This is a darker tale than "The Three Musketeers," but still entirely enjoyable. I love Dumas' quirky little dialogue, his bigger-than-life characters, all of it.

1 comment:

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

One of my favorite authors; one of my favorite books; one of my favorite literary characters.

Speaking of characters, you sure have lots of dastardly dudes (and dudettes) in your novels! And they all sound rather interesting - well done, good sir!