Monday, March 05, 2007

Aaaaaaargh!

While rummaging through boxes full of books, I ran across my old paperback version of "The Count of Monte Cristo." Since I bought a newer paperback version a while back and I'm currently re-reading the book for the first time in something like 20 years, I thought I'd flip through my old paperback copy.

And I discovered a tragedy. My older version is an abridged version. I immediately noted something was wrong when the older copy was only about 500 pages, and my more recent version is about 1,100 pages.

That explains why there are plot elements and whole characters I had forgotten. It also came as a shock to me to realize I have never read the full version of a book by one of my favorite classical authors.

I felt cheated.

I'll come right out and say it: DAMN abridged versions of ANY book. If you don't have the time or interest to read a book entire, then don't read the DAMN thing. If you're a disinterested student being forced to read something you don't like by a teacher, then just go buy the Cliff Notes; yes teachers often frown on them, but Cliff Notes get the job done as far as taking tests.

Read for fun! Read for pure enjoyment!

No comments: