Sunday, May 13, 2007

No. 15 -- The Gladiator: The Secret History of Rome's Warrior Slaves


by Alan Baker

Started: May 13
Finished: May 20

Notes: I have no good reason whatsoever for buying this book, other than it held a vague interest for me. I was in a bookstore about a year ago and was feeling antsy to buy something. This non-fiction book was the product. Sometimes gems can be found by accident.

Mini review: Informationally, this book was a waste of my time. The writing isn't bad, but the author jumps around and tells you information about ancient Rome that isn't directly related to gladiatorial games. It probably didn't help that I have read nearly all of his original source material, so I was familiar with most of what he had to say.
However, all that being said, there is a good side to this book. It really brings home the sheer horror of being a gladiator, or worse, being a prison shoved into the arena. Without any weapons. Oh, yeah, and there's a bear or a lion or a tiger who hasn't been feed in a week or so. And your its FOOD. The book also mentions the various tortures and other shows that are related to gladiatorial games and combats.

No comments: