Tuesday, June 05, 2007

No. 18 -- Blood and Gold

by Anne Rice

Started: June 5
Finished: June 12

Notes: The truth is, I've had this book so long I don't remember when, how or why I purchased it (other than I've read most of Rice's vampire books, so this is a natural). I've decided to read it now because I just noticed I accidentally included it in my looooooong list of books I have read ... though I hadn't read it yet.

Mini review: A fine work from Rice, though not her best. It does, however, contain one of my favorite characters of hers, Marius the Roman. Like most of Rice's vampire books, this one is about a hundred pages longer than it needs to be. I mean, there's only so much morose whining about lost loves and thousand-year-old misunderstandings I can tolerate before I become bored. Some good, old-fashioned editing would have helped.

2 comments:

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

OOOOOOOH! Fibber!! If there's one, there's bound to be more. Ty, how could you?

Ty said...

Eh, it happens. Actually, for any more forgotten books, it would be books I HAVE read but forgot to list. I've noticed I forgot to list all the James Bond books I've read, but I'll get to that soon.

And I'm sure there are no more books listed of which I have not read. How do I know this? Because I've gone over the stack of books I have not read that is on my shelves. I'm down to 19 unread books now! The lowest its been in a while. If I can stay away from Half-Price books and Barnes & Noble and Joseph Beths, I might stand a chance of whittling that pile down to zero by the end of the year (my secret goal), but I don't see it happening.