Monday, August 06, 2007

Writing isn't always writing, but sometimes it is

I've been doing a lot of work on my writing lately, but I've not actually done a lot of writing.

Let me explain. I currently have six short stories in circulation, some of them old, a few of them relatively new. I keep working on the trilogy; I'm down to the last three chapters of the final book, basically the climax of the whole thing and the wrapping up.

I've also recently made a list of stories languishing away in computer files, stories I feel are up to publication. I came up with 10 stories. I have found 10 places to send them. Now, just finding the time to get the stories formatted properly, cover letters written, etc.

And ... ta da ... I actually wrote a new short story a few days ago. It was a great experience, the first original writing I've done in months. I'd had the idea in my head for a few days, then it came pouring out of me in one sitting. True, that first draft was only 1,600 words, but I hadn't planned for this being a long story. I've whittled it down to 1,500 words and think I could probably squeeze another 200 from it if I had to, but that would cut out some of the style of it, which I'm not willing to do at this time ... unless an editor asks me to do otherwise. AND, this short story is horror, the first horror I've written in at least three years. AND it's a zombie story, my first true zombie story (I've used undead plenty of times, but usually ghouls or vamps).

There you have it. What's up with my writing of late.

Oh, yeah, and then there's been the book reviewing, the critiquing for others, this blog, postings at various Web sites, etc. etc.

A writer's work is never done.

Unless the writer is dead.

And who knows? Maybe not even then.

2 comments:

cindy said...

good for you ty, for being so productive! i'm excited to hear you are near the end of your trilogy. i hope to be done with my ONE novel =) by the end of the year.

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

Cool and congrats on the new story, man! Though I am sorry to hear it's horror. ;)