Sunday, November 04, 2007

Writer/editor relationships


As a writer, I have several friends who are editors of one publication or another. I also know several other editors by name, though I wouldn't necessarily call them a friend, more of an acquaintance.

So, the neurotic bunch that we writers often are, we have to face sending our work to not only editors, but editors who might know us fairly well, sometimes even quite well.

This could be unnerving for the writer as well as the editor. The writer is hoping to please this person he or she knows, but is also looking to make another sale. The editor, on the other hand, doesn't want to disappoint this friend/acquaintance and also wants to deal with their story fairly in comparison to other stories received.

The best way to deal with this is to keep it professional.

Yes, you can cut up and have a laugh with your editor or writer friends, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty of publishing, keep in mind that it's a business (even if big money, or any money at all, isn't involved).

There's one big reason to do this. To keep a good relationship going, and I'm not just talking about the friendship part of the relationship. I'm talking about the business relationship, the writing relationship and the publishing relationship (which can all boil down to the same thing).

I'd much rather a friend editor reject one of my stories and us stay on good terms, than for him or her to have to fret over it or even worse, accept the story just because they know me. That would not be good for them, their publication, nor for me as a writer.

You see, any publication I submit to, I want them to have the best possible stories even if it does not include one of my own. Why? Selfish reasons. Eventually they are likely to publish one of my tales, hopefully for the right reasons, and it will shine all the more coming from a respected publication and while packaged with other good stories.

I'm in this for the long haul, not just to get one story published.

1 comment:

Rogue Blades Entertainment said...

great thoughts, Ty. well said. I shall take them to heart.