Wednesday, November 07, 2007

THE zombie movie

World War Z, one of the best books I've read in the last few years and my all-time favorite book dealing with zombies, is being made into a movie. According to IMDB and other sites, it is being produced by Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment and is scheduled to be released sometime in 2008. The screenplay is still being worked on.

Before you jump the gun and think "great, another zombie movie, who needs it?" I want you to know "World War Z" is much more than just a zombie book. It's a novel told in interviews with people who survived the rise of and the war with the zombie. It's a novel of a zombie war as if told by Ken Burns. "World War Z" is full of tales of survival, a few comedic and a few horrific and many touching. The chapter dealing with pets, specifically dogs, was one of the most moving sections of the book. The political spectrum of the new world after the zombie invasion is also quite interesting (though I myself found this part a bit unrealistic -- Cuba as a new world power? I don't think so).

I'm quite excited about the movie, and hope they don't screw it up by turning it into a straight horror flick or even a horror comedy.

No comments: