Saturday, May 24, 2008

Here in my car

Nope, I'm not literally in my car. The title above is a reference to a song. If you don't know it, then you're probably not old enough. Or I'm just a lousy title maker.

But I am writing about cars today, or more specifically, driving.

I've had to do a ton of driving this week, on the road traveling to a couple of different places along the East Coast of the U.S.

This is the first time in a long time I've driven this much in such a short period of time, about four days.

This is also the first time in months I've really driven at all. For health reasons, and because of the convenience of where I live downtown, for the last four or five months I've been walking everywhere I go for the most part. I've only been driving about once a week when I have to go pick up a big load of groceries or have to go across town to buys something specific I can't get near I live. Otherwise, I walk to work and to the grocery store and to restaurants and plenty of other places. I'm averaging about three miles a day now.

I'm not complaining about walking that much. I rather enjoy it, and have been thinking about blogging about walking and a lot of the benefits it brings.

But today I'm writing about driving.

Why? Because I rediscovered something while driving this week.

Driving can be fun!

I'm not talking about your drive to work or school or whatnot. I'm talking about cruising along the highway at two in the morning with your windows down (or top off) and a great song comes on the radio. Maybe it's "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones, or "Money" by Pink Floyd, or whatever you think is a great song.

It dawned on me there is something authentically American, even downright youthful, about such a drive. It's almost like being back in high school or college again, even if you're on your own while driving and listening to a great tune. It's almost like you're transported back to the past, and even if alone you can feel the spirit of old friends and good times. And it's just good to feel alive!

I missed that feeling. Don't get enough of it.

No, I'm not going to stop walking. Nor am I really going to start driving more, unless I have to go on another trip.

But maybe next time I'll be looking forward to such a trip.

My only fear is that the days of cruising along and listening to great tunes might be coming to an end, what with the price of oil and the state of the world.

But maybe not. Maybe not.

Maybe we can keep riding along together for a good while yet. Maybe oil prices will come down. Maybe technology will come up with something as good as or better than the internal comustion engine.

Maybe.

1 comment:

cindy said...

i do a lot of good story thinking while driving long distance. it is also the only place i get to listen to music these days.