Thursday, September 18, 2008

Robert E. Howard quotes

Some of these are from short stories, but most are from personal letters writer Robert E. Howard sent to acquaintances. I've not identified exactly where the quotes came from out of sheer laziness. You can look up specifics elsewhere on the Web.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph."

"I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

"I think the real reason so many youngsters are clamoring for freedom of some vague sort, is because of unrest and dissatisfaction with present conditions; I don't believe this machine age gives full satisfaction in a spiritual way, if the term may be allowed."

"Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."

"Come, my friend, let us cuss things in general."

"Hell, the world isn’t worth reforming or even aiding as I can see. Men are swine and most women are fools"

No comments: