Monday, January 12, 2009

No. 8 - The Godfather's Revenge

by Mike Winegardner

Started: January 12
Finished: January 23

Notes: Yep, this novel is a continuation of the Godfather movies, and more specifically, the Godfather novel by the late Mario Puzo. This novel was a Christmas present from the wife. We both are big fans of the movies, and I liked the original novel.

Mini review: The plot here is pretty interesting, though somewhat implausible in that in hints at organized crime connections to the assassination of the president in 1964 (the dates and names are slightly changed as this is a work of fiction). I like all of the newer characters, but I didn't care much for the portrayal of the tried-and-true characters such as Tom Hagen and Michael Corleone. The portrayal of the known characters didn't work for me as I remember them from the original novel by Puzo and the movies. The writing was decent, but not exciting. There were a few places where there was too much telling and not enough showing. The Nick Geraci character was by far my favorite.

No comments: