Wednesday, May 27, 2009

No. 30 - Harbingers

by F. Paul Wilson

Started: May 27
Finished: June 2

Notes: I'm a little familiar with this author's work from about 25 to 30 years ago. Then he was mostly known as a horror writer, specifically his historical vampire tales, of which The Keep is the best known. But since then he has become known for his Repairman Jack series of novels, of which this novel I'm reading is one. I've been meaning to get to a Repairman Jack story for some time now, so here goes.

Mini review: Probably the most exciting and fun book I've read this year. Wilson's Repairman Jack character is one of the most fun, yet toughest hard cases I've read of in a while. And the back story and the background, it's fantastic, and owes at least a little to Lovecraft. Very interesting, and fantastic writing. I'll be seeking out more in this series.

No comments: