Thursday, May 07, 2009

Yes, I still love speculative fiction

Since I was recently asked by someone, let me set the record straight here and now: No, I am not giving up on speculative fiction. I am not stopping reading and writing speculative fiction.

Okay, happy?

Yes, I've been staying away from fantasy reading most of this year. I've snuck in a few horror books here and there, and just a touch of science fiction though mostly more literary sci-fi. All of this has been intentional for three reasons.

One, I needed a break from fantasy. I read a fair amount of fantasy last year, and I felt like a change of pace. I don't want to become stale in my reading or writing. I went through a period of about 10 years where I didn't read any fantasy at all because I'd become bored with everything I had read and wasn't finding anything new worth persuing. I don't want that to happen again.

Two, frankly I've just been in the mood to catch up on some literary and classic novels I've been meaning to get to for ages. These are just books I've wanted to read or felt like I should read, so I'm getting to some of them this year. Also, I think it behooves a writer of any type to branch out in their reading; it can help the writer discover new ways of telling stories, and give plot and character ideas out of the norm. As example, I should've read "The Scarlet Pimpernel" years ago.

Three, I've been working on a more literary novel this year. So, to some extent I've tried to stay away from speculative fiction so I wouldn't feel the need or want to write some.

So there.

2 comments:

Andrew Rosenberg said...

I've taken like a 20 year break from Fantasy but I'm determined to get back into reading it. Reading Brooks' World War Z right now...not sure if it's Fantasy, SciFi, or SpecFic.

cindy said...

was there any doubt? once a spec fic lover, always a spec fic lover.