Friday, February 05, 2010

No. 8 - The Narcissism Epidemic

by Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D., and W. Keith Campbell, Ph.D.

Started: February 6
Finished: February 10

Notes: I first saw this non-fiction book mentioned in an online forum, at the idea of it instantly drew my attention. It's a book about the cultural spread of narcissm throughout American society, so I knew I couldn't pass this one up. It's a subject I find relevant every day.

Mini review: If the Bible is right that the meek shall inherit the Earth, then America is screwed. Actually, a really solid look at the narcissistic culture that now pervades the U.S. I found it quite interesting the authors, one a staunch Democrat and the other a staunch Republican, for the most part stayed away from politics, though they did say at one point near the end of the book that this was intentional. I also found it interesting that this narcissistic culture is now so pervasive that most people don't seem to notice it. I do. Every single day. And it sickens me. Especially reality television, which glorifies the worst of cultural behaviors, and the "princess syndrome" so many parents and educators have with today's children. I try my best not to add to the problem, but I'm only human after all, an I'm stuck in the middle of this culture just like everyone else in the U.S.

No comments: