Monday, March 01, 2010

No. 13 - Deadhouse Gates

by Steven Erikson


Started: March 1
Finished: March 17


Notes: The second book in this series, though the fourth I've read. I'm enjoying this series quite a bit, and now I'm trying to read in order the books I haven't read.


Mini review: This is my second favorite of the novels I've read in this series, with The Bonehunters being my first (and which I'll probably re-read later this year since I'm more or less reading this series in order now). The characterization was very strong here. The plotting too was strong, but I felt some of the endings (they're several endings here for multiple situations and characters) were a bit on the weak side. However, the outcomes for a couple of characters were quite strong (Coltaine and Duiker, for those familiar with the series) and very well written. I can't wait to read more in this series, and some of the other books set in the Malazan universe (not all the books are directly part of this overall series).