Friday, April 22, 2011

Books read in 2011: No. 16 - One Hundred Years of Solitude

by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Started: April 22
Finished: April 30

Notes: I've heard so many great things about this novel that's supposed to be a masterpiece of magical realism, I just knew I had to give it a try. Here goes.

Mini review: Just an awesome, awesome novel. At first it struck me as something I would detest, full of telling and no showing hardly at all. But after a hundred pages, I realized there was a certain genius to what was being written. At its most basic, this is the story of a family and the growth of a small town in South America over a hundred years. But it's really so much more than that, so much so that I can't really describe it. This was my first knowing experience with literature that is supposed to be from the magic realism genre, which is closely related to fantasy, but I can see the difference. Would I recommend this novel? Not for everyone. If you are someone who enjoys overly literary tales which say much between the lines, then this is for you. If you are a reader who likes straight-forward stories, this won't be your thing. I like both, depending upon how good the writing is and my current mood. During the time I read this novel, it was perfect for me.

No comments: