Sunday, January 08, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 3 - The Traveler in Black

by John Brunner

Started: January 9
Finished: January 12

Notes: I'm not sure when I first became aware of this collection of short stories revolving around a particular protagonist, probably a year or so back, but I've been wanting to get into it since. This is the original Ace version from 1971 (there's another version later on with an additional story added), and I've had a dickens of a time finding it in used book stores. Of course I could have found it online, but I was saved the trouble by editor Paul Wittine, who sent me this one for Christmas. Thanks, Paul! I'm really looking forward to some '70s old school fantasy.

Mini review: An intriguing look back at fantasy literature of the '60s and early '70s. I've long wondered why there was such an interest back then in the whole Chaos vs. Order theme (one I don't see as much today, at least not directly referring to Chaos and Order), but I suppose it was because of the changes going on in society at the time, the counter culture, etc. An excellent read, and I'll have to search out the later version of this book to read the additional story, "The Things That Are Gods."

No comments: