Friday, May 11, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 43 -- We Can Be Heroes

by Scott Fitzgerald Gray

Started: May 9
Finished: May 14

Notes: For the last year or so I've been impressed as hell by this writer, so I have to admit to having high hopes with this one. Pretty much everything I've read by him so far has been short heroic fantasy. So, with this reading I am enjoying two firsts. It will be the first Gray novel I will have read, and it will be the first non-fantasy (I think?) work from Gray I will have read. The plot here is kind of mysterious, but seems to center around a group of gamers who stumble into trouble involving the government and who knows who and what else. I've read the first few chapters so far, and the writing style reminds me somewhat of Cory Doctorow's Little Brother, which isn't a bad thing considering Doctorow's popularity.

Mini review: You need to read this book. Regardless of your favorite reading material, whatever your favorite genres, this one covers a lot. Techno. Thriller. Mystery. Science Fiction. Action. Adventure. Gaming, digital and tabletop. Gamers. Young adult. A touch of romance. But what you really want to know is, is this book any good? Uh, hell yeah! I've said before this author has impressed me, and he continues to do so. I read a lot, but I truly cannot remember the last time a novel has kept me up reading all night; this one kept me up all night for two nights. You've probably heard that old cliche, "I couldn't put it down." Really, that was the case here for me. I have very, very few nitpicks about this book. At first I felt the beginning, the first 20 or so pages, was a little slow, but then it slams into gear and doesn't let up much for the rest of the story. And even those first 20 pages were interesting and fast reads. I truly can't say enough good about this novel.

No comments: