Thursday, July 12, 2012

Author Ann Grant's writing roots tied in with the speculative and the spooky


1.) Ann, for those not yet familiar with your work, can you tell us a little about your writing and yourself as a writer?

I grew up watching classic science fiction movies with my father. I’ve seen everything from Close Encounters to the Steve McQueen Blob to those really bad Japanese Godzilla films. I can’t get aliens out of my blood, but I’m not a movie maker, so I write stories instead. My current work, Shadow Stations, is a series about two sisters who discover an invasion in rural Pennsylvania. I write about real people who encounter the impossible and maintain a sense of wonder in spite of everything. My writing process: I stay up all night, drink gallons of espresso, and know I’m on the right track when I can’t stop laughing.

 2.) As a writer, how do you go about getting reviews for your work?

That’s a tough question. I do what most writers do. I throw salt over my shoulder, step over cracks on the sidewalk, and lurk in alleys with bags of candy. Seriously, a few loyal fans wait for my books and post reviews, so I’m grateful for that. I’ve had some success with giveaways. I recently found out about Mail Chimp. One writer came up with a suggestion I think I’ll try. He gives away copies of his books and tells the recipients if they e-mail him the link to their review, he’ll send them a free copy of another book he’s written.

3.) Who are some of your favorite authors?

I’ve come across so many wonderful writers, it’s hard to know where to start. Off the top of my head, Irish writer Emma Donoghue (Slammerkin), Peter Benchley (Jaws), Daphne DuMaurier (Rebecca), Kathleen Valentine (The Old Mermaid’s Tale), Dave Conifer (Wrecker), Kealan Patrick Burke (The Turtle Boy), Hugh Howey (Wool), and so many more. Dr. Raymond Moody (Life After Life) is one of my favorite nonfiction writers. The book I would take to a desert island? The Bhagavad Gita. Nobody knows who wrote it.

4.) What do you hope the future holds for you as a writer?

I hope the indie marketplace continues to develop. I’d like to translate my books for overseas readers (right now it’s too expensive).

5.) You have written a non-fiction book about ghosts at the Gettysburg battlefield. So, do you believe in ghosts? Have you had any supernatural experiences?

The first sentence in Haunted Ground says “Mention ghosts and I used to be the world’s biggest skeptic.” My late husband Jack and I used to drive from D.C. to Gettysburg to hike on weekends. One day he told me about a haunted triangular field where a ghost supposedly tampers with cameras, camcorders, TV equipment, and even digital watches. The idea made me gleeful. The field itself has an ominous feeling if you’re at all sensitive to that kind of thing, but no, I didn’t believe in ghosts and joked about it. Well, our new batteries died the first time we walked through the gate. Many other people have documented unusual experiences in the Triangular Field and have even tested the area for geological anomalies, but never found anything. Yes, after years of hiking across the battlefield, I’m forced to admit the place turned me into a believer.

6.) Your doctor informs you that you have contracted a rare disease that allows you to only eat one flavor of ice cream for the rest of your life. If you even nibble at another flavor of ice cream, you will become sick, sick, sick! The good news is you get to pick the one flavor you CAN eat. What will it be?

An ice cream disease! Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food (trust me, it’s a flavor). The best way to eat Phish Food is with friends while you watch the Red Sox destroy the Yankees.

For more on author Ann Grant, please check out:
The Amazon page for the novel Shadow Stations
The Amazon page for the novel Lost Cargo
The Amazon page for Haunted Ground
The Shadow Stations site

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm a sucker for a good alien invasion story, although strangely enough I've never written one myself.