Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 61 -- Northanger Abbey

by Jane Austen

Started: July 7
Finished: July 13

Notes: While over the years I have enjoyed several movies and television programs based upon this author's works, I have never actually read any of her material. I've been meaning to give Austen a go for some time now and figured there was no time like the present. This particular novel drew my interest because apparently it is, at least in part, a satire of Gothic literature, of which I'm somewhat familiar.

Mini review: Not completely, but I was partially turned off. Much here I found tedious, especially the first half of the book. The second half wasn't nearly so bad because at least something was happening besides going to a party, gossiping, going to another party, more gossip, etc., etc. Toward the end I was enjoying the story much more as there was a sudden change of events which heightened a sense of mystery about the heroine's future. The dialogue of this novel I enjoyed quite a bit, as I did the satirical elements. There were a few decent laughs here and there, though nothing too boisterous. Will I give this author another try? Yes, but it might be a while.

No comments: