Saturday, August 25, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 70 -- Breakfast at Tiffany's

by Truman Capote

Started: August 23
Finished: August 25

Notes: I've long been a fan of Truman Capote, mainly for his work In Cold Blood, one of the finest non-fiction books I have ever read. I had known Capote was the author of Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I had always thought that meant he was the screenwriter for the movie. Then I came across this little book a while back in a used book store. Having not read a lot of Capote, I snatched this one up. It turns out this is a collection of short stories and one novella, the novella being the title of the collection and the movie.

Mini review: These are excellent literary tales, mostly sad in the end, though not necessarily heart-wrenching. Capote's writing here isn't overly lyrical, but there are nice touches to the scenery and sometimes to character descriptions. The characters themselves are quite simple outwardly for the most part, not too inward-looking, but with an aura of faint, almost tired surrender about them, reminding me somewhat of the characters from short stories by the likes of Hemingway and Steinbeck.

No comments: