Sunday, September 02, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 73 -- The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger

Started: August 28
Finished: Sept. 2

Notes: It dawned on me some while back that I rarely read female authors, which is a disservice to myself as a reader and a writer as well as being a disservice to others. So that is one of the things which initially drew me to investigating this book. Then the more I heard about it, the more I was intrigued, the tale being about a man who travels through time yet seemingly has no way of controlling such. The story is apparently told from this man's wife's point of view, which I find even more intriguing. I'm looking forward to it.

Mini review: Hardcore science fiction fans might find plenty to grouse about in this novel, but they're missing the whole point. This is not a tragedy nor a comedy nor a serious science fiction tale. This is a romance, a romance about true love, a love of the ages, like Romeo and Juliet, or for a more modern audience, Wesley and Buttercup. Read in that light, this is a most enjoyable story, somewhat sad toward the end. My main quibble with this tale was that about two-thirds into the story I could tell where it was going, and from that point on I became frustrated, wanting the tale to get to its ending; this was a frustration upon my part, not because the book is overly wordy. Would I suggest reading this? Yes. But be prepared for heartbreak.

No comments: