Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Books read in 2012: No. 83 -- Poems by Emily Dickinson, Three Series, Complete

by Emily Dickinson

Started: Oct. 3
Finished: Oct. 9

Amazon link: Poems by Emily Dickinson, Three Series, Complete

Notes: I am not much fond of poetry. I find too much of it full of egoism and navel gazing to the point of absurdity. But not all. For example, I love the works of John Milton and even Homer. There are also a number of pop and rock musicians I consider solid poets. But my feelings about poetry are my own, and I realize that. There are plenty of people who love poetry, and as a writer I feel I need to study poetry more to better myself and my writing. Which is one reason I'm reading this book. Oh, I've read a few Dickinson poems over the years, mainly in school, but I admit to not being overly familiar with her work. I hope this reading will correct that situation to some extent.

Mini review: I can't say this improved my general appreciation (or lack thereof) for poetry, but there were a few poems I liked and a handful of interesting lines. Dickinson obviously had interests in nature, writing about bees and birds to quite an extent. She also seemed to have some lesser interests in death, and as can be expected from one like myself who appreciates horror literature, I was drawn to these passages.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm not so much a fan of Dickinson, but I am of Dylan Thomas.