Saturday, March 08, 2014

Books read in 2014: No. 10 -- Heart in the Right Place

by Carolyn Jourdan

Started: March 4
Finished: March 8

Notes: I have this unfortunate tendency of misplacing books that have been gifts, and before I've had a chance to read them. I don't know why this is, but it has seemed to happen throughout my life. So, this book being a recent holiday gift, I thought I should read it before it escapes through the mists of time. This one is a memoir, apparently about a woman who was an attorney in Washington D.C., yet she gave it all up to return to the small town where she is from in the Smoky Mountains in Eastern Tennessee, all in order to help her ailing parents and her father's medical practice. This might not be something I sought out to read, but I do find it of interest, and I do believe in learning from everything I read.

Mini review: Quite the delightful read. Much of it was humorous, but there was more than a little of a serious side concerning death and spirituality. The big question this book asks is, "What do you want to do with your life?" The dilemma here is between a life of relative wealth and power while seeming to help others, or a life of truly helping others but having to live in relative obscurity and with fewer finances. It's a question lots of people, if not most people, have to ask themselves in one fashion or another at some point in their lives. For those who enjoy down-home kind of humor, this book should be right up your alley.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I have to be in just the right kind of mood for that kind of humor, and I don't know if I could stay in that mood for a whole book, but I should have a look at it.

Ty said...

Fortunately, the book doesn't constantly hit upon those aspects, though it is fairly prevalent. Yeah, I have to be in the right frame of mind for it as well, but didn't find this one too over the top.