Thursday, August 14, 2014

Books read in 2014: No. 32 -- Blood Red Rings

by Rick Mofina

Started: August 14
Finished: August 14

Notes: This is another thriller author I've been meaning to look into for some time now. Beyond the writing, I've been wanting to check out this little e-book because it is apparently a short story plus a collection of first chapters from several of Mofina's novels. I'm not interested in putting out such a collection myself, but I'm interested in how it will be handled here.

Mini review: The short story, from which this e-book's title comes, is a damn fine piece of police fiction, bordering on horror. I can't quite say the tale is a favorite because I did figure out where the story was going, but the technique was superb over all. The other writings here show Mofina knows what he's doing, so I'll have to check out more of his material in the future.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Seems like a strange kind of promotion but sounds like it did intrigue you.

Ty said...

Yeah, I don't think I would do this, though I've seen a few others try it. I could maybe have seen including one chapter from a newer novel.