Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 10 -- People of the Lightning

by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear

Started: April 10
Finished: April 26

Notes: My father did not read a lot of fiction, and at first I would have thought this novel would not have been his kind of thing. But upon learning more, that this is about pre-Columbian North Americans and written by a couple of archaeologists, perhaps this would have been something that drew my dad in, because like me he was always interested in history.

Mini review: The plot was quit good, mixing anthropology with fantasy, and leading to a nice conclusion. The characters were also interesting, from the worst of the worst to the best of the best. However, the writing style was not something I appreciated. Far too much description, in my opinion, especially at the wrong moments, such as during intense conversations. More than once I wanted to scream when someone would be talking and suddenly they'd look out upon a surf or up at the sky, etc. Still, not a bad book. I might read more from these authors at some point.

No comments: