Sunday, July 17, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 33 -- The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House

by Neil Gaiman

Started: July 16
Finished: July 17

Notes: Here I continue with my re-reading of the entire Sandman collection. At least of the original series. There have been a few mini series and one shots since, and some of those I've read and might get to again. Usually when I post about a comic book or graphic novel I will also list the artists, and in case you're wondering why I'm not doing so with the Sandman books it's because the artists change somewhat frequently.

Mini review: Dream has reclaimed the Dreaming and now seeks to find errant dreams. That sentence would probably make no sense except to someone who has read The Sandman. This is a good story, though I would not say it is the best of the series. The issue titled "The Collectors" is a personal favorite, as creepy as that might seem. Of all the different stories within The Sandman collection, this one more than any other feels to me as if it is building to something larger, to the story entire (which is still a good ways off to completion at this point); that is not a good thing nor a bad thing, though I suppose it could be both. A number of important characters are introduced here, the Corinthian being perhaps the most interesting. I am glad to be re-reading this series.

No comments: