Sunday, August 28, 2016

Books read in 2016: No. 45 -- The Unsuspecting Mage: Book One of the Morcyth Saga

by Brian S. Pratt

Started: August 20
Finished: August 27

Notes: After recently reading the Reader and Educator Guide to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, I decided I was in the mood for some fantasy, which I've been neglecting for some while now. I decided to try this author because he's new to me and because the story idea drew me in, being about a role player who finds himself in an actual world of magic.

Mini review: This was a fun story that flowed well with characters you cared about. The downside was the writing needs to be cleaned up quite a bit, but not so much as to make it unreadable. Also, the book is mostly present tense (which doesn't appeal to me) though sometimes it lapses into past tense (which becomes annoying). Still, despite its faults, a pretty good read. I wouldn't shy from this author in the future, though I won't necessarily seek out more works by him.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've become more and more interested in present tense lately but mostly only for short stories. I don't know about a novel length piece

Ty said...

I've used it myself from time to time for shorter pieces, but yeah, I think it pushes the limits when used for novels.