Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Books read in 2018: No. 21 -- Longshot

by Dick Francis

Started: March 30
Finished: April 4

Notes: Having grown up in horse-racing country in Kentucky, I can long remember the books of Dick Francis being quite popular in that region, probably because his mystery thrillers usually were related to the horse racing industry. That said, I never picked up one of his books until recently, so I'll see how this one goes.

Mini review: A travel writer turned novelist is down on hard times and agrees to write a biography of a horse racing mogul. Doesn't sound interesting, but this one slowly won me over. Funny, this book is so British, or at least it's very un-American in its telling and its feel in that it is so non-confrontational. Even the bad guy in this one turns out to be non-confrontational. I can't say this book will make me want to go out and read a bunch more of Dick Francis, but I'm also not scared away, in fact thinking I might like to give the author another go or two to see how he handles other situations.

No comments: