Thursday, February 14, 2019

Books read in 2019: No. 11 -- The Hollow Lands: The Second Volume of The Dancers at the End of Time

by Michael Moorcock

Started: Feb. 10
Finished: Feb. 14

Notes: I just read the first novel in this trilogy, so now I turn to the second. I'd like to add, Moorcock isn't necessarily one of my favorite authors though I have read a fair bit of his work. From what I can tell from his fiction and non-fiction, he and I would not see eye to eye on a lot of things, but I do find him a pretty decent writer and I have to admit that even though I might not agree with his viewpoint, there is no denying he is thought provoking. So I'll keep reading him.

Mini review: This book very much follows similar themes and a similar outline to the first in this trilogy, at least until the end. Roughly the first half of the book is full of characters and scenery which are quite vacuous, even flippant at times, but then the plot thickens and the latter portions of the book are more traditional. That being said, the ending here is quite a bit different than the first novel, eventually leading to something of a cliffhanger. While the first halves of these novels have not thrilled me, once the story has truly gotten going, I've been quite pleased and interested, so I'll definitely move on to the third book.

No comments: