Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Beer of the Week: Abbott Ale

Beer score: 4.4

Company: Greene King

ABV: 5.0
IBU: Not reported

I first tried Abbott Ale a couple of decades ago and found it only slightly above mediocre, so recently I had the opportunity and tried it again. Unfortunately, I can't say it's much better this time around.

Oh, it's not an awful beer, not even a truly bad beer, but it didn't taste anything overly special or unique to me. It's a tad stronger in flavor and scent than your typical draught ale from Britain, and it has a nice head to it, so that much isn't bad. The coloring is a weaker-though-not-quite-light caramel and there's a touch of sweetness in the smell and the taste.

For better or worse, this beer seemed kind of watery to me, sort of thin. This could make it a fine beer for guzzling at the pub, but there's not enough here to make me want break it out at a beer tasting, nor would I really want to sit around and sip this at home on those nights when I'm in the mood for only a drink or two but a drink or two of something special.

Can you drink this? Sure. To repeat, it's not a bad beer. But any beer snob friends you might have will probably turn their noses up at this. But maybe not, especially if they're Americans who like to try something new.

No comments: