Thursday, April 18, 2019

Books read in 2019: No. 28 -- Pawn of Prophecy: Book One of The Belgariad

by David Eddings

Started: April 10
Finished: April 18

Notes: I've strayed from fiction for the last couple of months and I've been feeling the need for it, so I turn to this fantasy series. By all rights I should have read at least some of Eddings' fantasy works when they first came out in the 1980s because I was reading lots of fantasy back then, but for some reason I never got around to it. Now I will.

Mini review: Not bad. Not great and not overly complex while sticking to more than a number of basic fantasy tropes, but still a fairly pleasant read. Obviously I'm not in love with this book, but it was interesting enough to want to keep me reading more since I've got the second and third books waiting in the wings. For a somewhat light fantasy read but one that's not so simplistic as to be insulting, I can suggest this novel.

1 comment:

Adventuresfantastic said...

Thanks for this. I've wondered about picking up this series. I missed it back in the 80s, too.