Monday, September 30, 2019

Beer of the Week: Dogfish Head SeaQuench Ale

Beer score: 6.6

Company: Dogfish Head

ABV: 4.9
IBU: 10

This was ... uh ... one of the more unusual beers I've tried. It wasn't bad, necessarily, but it didn't taste much like beer. To my taste buds, it reminded me more than a little of Fresca, that citrus soft drink that's been around forever, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It poured a light amber color into a glass. The head became quite thick and foamy and white, but it drifted away almost immediately. Right away a strong smell of lime and grapefruit hit my nostrils.

The flavor? Lemon-lime, apple, melon, all-around citrus. The sour of the lime grows stronger the more you drink.

Over all the sensation here is light, but the texture is quite carbonated, and that combined with the flavoring makes one think more of a soft drink than of a beer. Yes, this is an odd drink, and it's by no means a traditional ale, but it could be worth your time to try.

Is it a good beer? You know what? It's not bad. It's not something I'd want to drink often, and honestly it's not something I'd want to drink when I'm in the mood for a beer, but it is a drink I would taste again when the mood struck me. And what would that mood be? Looking for a good time on a hot day, preferably at a beach or by a pool.

No comments: