Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Beer of the Week: Samuel Adams Octoberfest

Beer score: 7.1

Company: Samuel Adams

ABV: 5.3
IBU: 16

Though I tend to not care for holiday brews, I've had this beer several times over the last few decades, and in the past I've not cared much for it, but this year I actually found it to my liking. Being a seasonal brew, perhaps the recipe and/or the quality differs from year to year, or perhaps my taste buds have changed with age, or maybe my beer palate has grown. Whatever the case, I generally liked this beer in 2019.

Anyway, this beer poured a light, almost clear brown and had a slightly fizzy but frothy head to it. The taste is a little strong, but nothing overpowering here. There's more than a little caramel flavor as this drink goes down, and there are hints of citrus. It reminded me a bit of English brown ales.

As I said, I don't normally care for holiday beers, and in the past I didn't care for this one, but this year I found this rather enjoyable. Take that for what it's worth, but you might want to give it a try.

No comments: