Monday, March 09, 2020

Books read in 2020: No. 5 -- The Long-Legged House

by Wendell Berry

Started: Feb. 17
Finished: March 9

Notes: One of the most preeminent authors from my home state of Kentucky, I've long wanted to read some of his work, so I start with this book. To tell the truth, it's not impossible I had Berry as one of my creative writing professors back at the University of Kentucky in the late 1980s or early 1990s, but I don't recall that (and think I would, so it probably didn't happen). Anyway, looking to enjoying this.

Mini review: Turns out this is a collection of essays about various topics. Some little bit of this is about politics in the 1960s, when all of this was written, but much of it is like a Kentuckian's version of Thoreau's Walden, and that makes for a fine read. Walden fans will definitely want to break into this one. Also, I wrote down a number of good quotations from this book, and you can find those here.

No comments: