Thursday, April 16, 2020

Books read in 2020: No. 9 -- Called Out of Darkness

by Anne Rice

Started: March 30
Finished: April 16

Notes: I've read plenty of Rice's fiction over the years, some of which I've enjoyed and some I have not. Anyway, I'm curious as to her non-fiction writing and her thoughts on religion, though my understanding is her beliefs or thoughts have changed since this book was written more than a decade ago. Still, it should be interesting.

Mini review: Sometimes there's nothing more dull than reading about someone's religious transformation. It's potentially one of the (if not the) most important elements of our lives, but it often makes for boring reading. That's much the case here, but not all the case. For me, Rice's long recollections of her Catholic childhood are quite dull and not overly informative, though a person of a certain age and religious persuasion might find interest here. Rice's religious struggles became more interesting to me once she became an atheist and then gradually worked her way back to Christ. But honestly, interesting or "fun" reading (or whatever one wants to call it) isn't necessarily the point. I myself have found it difficult to discuss religious thoughts and feelings, as if my language (English) and perhaps any language is inadequate to discuss such properly. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. Okay, this isn't a great book or an eye opening book, but it might provide emotional and spiritual boosting to some who need it. And though I didn't find this book exciting, I am glad I read it. For those who want an autobiography of Anne Rice or a book about her writing, you won't find much of that here, though there is some little information along those lines.

No comments: