Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Books read in 2020: No. 11 -- After Alice

by Gregory Maguire

Started: April 20
Finished: May 5

Notes: I'm in the mood for some fiction, so I thought I'd give this author another try. I've read two of his books, generally enjoyed one but not the other, so maybe this one can be a tie breaker.

Mini review: Not exactly a reworking of Lewis Carroll's famous literature as it is something of a behind-the-scenes addition. This book tells the tale of several of Alice's friends and acquaintances, along with brief appearances by Charles Darwin, on the day Alice went to a certain tea party, garden party, and trial. I have to say, I didn't care for it. I'm not saying it's not a good book, but it wasn't for me. It felt long, tedious, and without point. What plot there is is to the point of nothingness, and I felt this added nothing to Carroll's tales. There was also something of an attitude of haughtiness early on, as if the writer couldn't help himself from name dropping 19th Century historical and fictional characters.

No comments: