Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Books read in 2021: No. 16 -- Sleeping Beauties


Started: March 21
Finished: April 7

Notes: I just finished a collection of spooky stories which I did not find all that spooky, so I thought I'd turn to the king of horror and his youngest son to see if they can give me a fright or two.

Mini review: A damn fine novel, and not in need of shortening as some of Stephen King's works are. Somewhat long and expansive, but that was needed for this tale in which all the women in the world (or nearly all of them) fall asleep and can't be woken. Also, a cocoon of sorts wraps itself around the women, and if anyone tries to wake them, they go mad and attack those who attempted to wake them. Nearly all the story takes place in a small Appalachian town and a women's prison, and there is some horror here but ultimately this is fantasy. And there's a somewhat bittersweet ending, though it's not really a dark one. One of my better King reads of recent years.

No comments: