Friday, April 23, 2021

Books read in 2021: No. 19 -- Savage Worlds Adventure Edition Roleplaying Game


Started: April 18
Finished: April 23

Notes: During the last decade or so I've played one version or another of the Savage Worlds tabletop RPG on various occasions, always just using the rules as I picked them up from play. This wasn't too difficult because Savage Worlds is to some extent based upon the rules used for the Deadlands game, which I'm quite familiar with having played that game a lot back in the '90s. Still, as one of my regular gaming groups is planning a couple of upcoming campaigns using the Savage Worlds rules, I thought maybe it was time I actually read one of the rules books from beginning to end so I would know more of what I was doing.

Mini review: Reading this makes me look forward all the more to starting a campaign with this game in the coming days. Once players get used to this system, I think they'll find it provides faster player than a lot of RPGs out there. It's also a bit more deadly in combat, from a character's point of view, but also less so at the same time, meaning the fights themselves tend to be more realistic than in some systems but the healing options are generous. If that made sense.

No comments: