Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Books read in 2021: No. 29 -- The White Tree (The Cycle of Arawn #1)

by Edward W. Robertson

Started: August 16
Finished: August 25

Notes: Upon my shelves are tons of books I've been meaning to read, and on my Kindles are long lists of e-books I've been meaning to get to. This is one such e-book, and I've never read this author before. Hopefully this'll be interesting and fun.

Mini review: This was actually a pretty good book. The plot involves a teen boy who discovers a book which teaches him magic. Meanwhile, cultists are trying to hunt him down and kill him. It all ends up involving war, gods, wizards, enemies, and friends. While the plot was mainly that of heroic fantasy, a good number of the characters leaned more toward Sword-and-Sorcery types; even the main character isn't always likeable, sometimes tending toward the dark side and even uncaring of the fates of others. The only quibble I had was that there were a few times when I felt the main character's motivations and following actions seemed unrealistic, but then again the character is quite young, so perhaps that explains some of it.

No comments: