Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Books read in 2021: No. 31 -- Willful Child

by Steven Erikson

Started: August 27
Finished: Sept. 1

Notes: Erikson, author of The Malazan Book of the Fallen, has for some while now been my favorite of the modern fantasy authors, so I thought I'd see how he handles science fiction.

Mini review: Well, I have to say, this book was not what I expected. It was about as un-Malazan as a novel can be, and I suppose that goes to show the talent of the author. This was, obviously so, a spoof of the Star Trek franchise, especially the original series, down to individual characters and even particular episodes. It was all silly humor, sometimes even slapstick. And while I found it quite amusing, about halfway through the book it became a bit much. In my opinion, this would have worked much better as a long short story or novella.

No comments: