Thursday, December 02, 2021

Books read in 2021: No. 43 -- Criminal Conversation

by Evan Hunter

Started: Nov. 19
Finished: Dec. 2

Notes: I'm in need of some fiction, and as I often do, I turn to one of my favorite authors, Ed McBain. Since he also wrote under the name of Evan Hunter, this should do.

Mini review: A prosecutor goes after a young mob boss. A woman has an affair with the same mob boss. To say more would be giving too much away. To tell the truth, through most of this book I felt I was having my first negative experience with an Ed McBain/Evan Hunter book. The plot seemed so slow, and was more invested in a sexual relationship than with moving forward, but I have to say the last hundred pages made up for everything, with the pace finally speeding up and running headlong into a conclusion that slammed home quite hard. Not sure I'd read this one again, but I believe I can say it's worth reading.

No comments: