Friday, February 04, 2022

Books read in 2022: No. 2 -- The Woman in White

by Wilkie Collins

Started: Jan. 7
Finished: Feb. 4

Notes: This mid-19th Century novel is considered a precursor to today's mystery novels, so I've been meaning to check it out for some time as I sometimes enjoy a good mystery novel and I have a fondness for much of 19th-Century literature. Also, last year I didn't read any classic literature, and I'm kind of missing it.

Mini review: Wow, that was a long read, but I can't say I was ever bored. This one read something like a mixture of Jane Austen with touches of Alexandre Dumas and a hint of Poe. I enjoyed it. The mystery throughout is multiple and rather complex, but it all works out in the end, perhaps a little too well. That might be my only real criticism of his lengthy novel, that the ending was a little too happy for my taste. But I did like this book, and I would read more from the author.

No comments: