Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Books read in 2022: No. 9 -- The Enchantress of Florence

by Salman Rushdie

Started: March 15
Finished: March 30

Notes: I've been meaning to read Rushdie for a first time and I'm in the mood for historical fiction, so this novel brings all that together.

Mini review: A European who seems to be something of a charlatan makes his way into the Indian court of an emperor where he proceeds to tell tales, culminating in a final tale that relates the European's history, ties it to the emperor, and unleashes a spirit of magic (sort of) upon the emperor himself and his people. But all that is really just the tip of the iceberg. Though rooted almost entirely in history, and more than a few historical figures do make an appearance, there are speculative elements to this tale, making it more magic realism than historical fiction. There is a lot of telling more than showing here, which makes this not the most fun of reads. I can't say I loved this one, but I did find parts of it enchanting and the melancholy ending is worth the wait. Reminded me a bit of the writings of Umberto Eco, which isn't a bad thing. Will I read Rushdie again? Yes, I believe I will, but only when I'm in the mood for something more literary.

No comments: